Increase your productivity by a factor of three by taking these steps to becoming a prolific scholar. Many scholars are educated as writers at the School of Hard Knocks, but itís not the only school, or even the best. Much is known about how to become more prolific–and any scholar can. Even when you canít work harder, there are important ways to work smarter.
Every scholar can become more prolific and these steps will show you how.
- Differentiate between the urgent and the important.
- Write 15–30 minutes daily.
- Record minutes spent writing and share those records daily.
- Write from the first day of your research project.
- Post your thesis on the wall and write to it.
- Organize around key sentences.
- Use your key sentences as an after-the-fact outline.
- Share early drafts with non-experts and later drafts with experts.
- Learn how to listen.
- Respond to each specific comment.
Polish and Publish
- Read your prose out loud.
- Kick it out the door, and make ’em say, “No.”
The workshop is based on a book, Publish & Flourish, and on articles, including one published in To Improve the Academy 2000 (19:268–284).
What Participants Say
The workshop can be presented in 2, 3, 4, or 4.5 hours. In all the workshops, the steps are the same, however:
- In the two-hour workshop, participants don’t use the steps to apply to anyone’s draft
- In the three-hour workshop, all participants apply the steps to one person’s draft
- In the four-hour workshop, participants (in groups of three) apply the steps to a draft that each person brings
- In the four-and-a-half-hour workshop, all participants apply the steps to one person’s draft and then all participants (in groups of three) apply the steps to a draft that each person brings.
In sum, the shorter the workshop, the greater the attendance; and the longer the workshop, the more experience participants gain in applying the steps to their own drafts.
Who Should Participate
Any scholar who wants to become more prolific.
The workshop will be conducted at your institution and tailored to your specific needs.
Text and Academic Authors (TAA) offers Publish & Flourish for $1,250 cost to the host institution, which includes the presenter’s honorarium and travel.
During 2013–2014, TAA will offer a limited number of Publish & Flourish workshops anywhere in the U.S. or its territories. With these TAA sponsored workshops, TAA’s sponsorship covers the majority of the cost of bringing a presenter to your institution, including the presenter’s fee and domestic travel expenses (transportation, lodging, and food). The host institution pays a fee of $1,250, which includes the cost of one-year TAA memberships for every participant who joins TAA.
Because the workshops are meant to be all-campus workshops, the host institution is also responsible for sending two individual invitations to each member of the entire campus, preferably including both faculty and graduate students.
During the workshop, TAA member benefits are explained and workshop participants are invited to join for one year. For each participant who joins, TAA provides the book Publish & Flourish.
Contact Tara for the cost of the workshop internationally.
Workshops are generally scheduled on Fridays or Mondays. Tara will send you available dates upon request as soon as you tell her what months interest you.